Aft AKA blocks

including Amas (Floats), Akas (Beams) , Swing Wing system and all other hull related issues.
philw
Your Country: UK, Poole

Aft AKA blocks

Post by philw »

Hi all,

Can anyone help with some advice please.....?

The blocks that carry the wire rope to tension the trampoline/open the wings in the aft akas have seized up on Trilemma. They are riveted in to the GRP on the front of the aka and I an unsure how best to fix then. I have tried penetrating oil but that did not work.

Has anyone had the same problem and found a good way.....

Thanks, Phil
Phil Wheeler
DF800 185 - Trilemma

Poole, UK South Coast
Roelof Beukinga
Your Country: Netherlands,Makkum

Re: Aft AKA blocks

Post by Roelof Beukinga »

Hi Phil,
I posted a similar question a few weeks ago.
I just finished removing the sheaveboxes on my 920. It was quite a hassle. A few bolts broke and the case itself was strongly bonded to the GRP-laminate. I used a hotgun to soften the sikaflex. Finally, after a few! hours wiggling with screwdrivers, the box came out. Be patient! otherwise you will damage the laminate.
Now I'm thinking about the reassembling proces, drilling the old bolt-ends out and using screws or making a new larger thread?
In case you have finished the job :how did you do that?
philw

Post by philw »

Hi Roelof

I haven't started working n this yet but my boat is back home and this is on the to-do list. I'd prefer to free off the blocks if I can, but if they have to come out so be it!

Phil
Phil Wheeler
DF800 185 - Trilemma

Poole, UK South Coast
philw

Post by philw »

Good news - both of the blocks have freed up and are now moving. This was used by frequent penetrating oil and repeated loosening with fine nose pliers. It took a few days for the oli to work.

One of the sheaves is clearly baldy warn as there is a great deal of unwanted movement - 5-10mm. :roll: Thi sis not such good news as the axle may be worn and could fail in use, which would mean the trampoline falling loose.....

Phil
Phil Wheeler
DF800 185 - Trilemma

Poole, UK South Coast
Roelof Beukinga
Your Country: Netherlands,Makkum

Post by Roelof Beukinga »

Hi Phil,
The sheaves at my boat were badly worn too. There was too much movement in the horizontal plane therefore i decided to replace them. I ordered 2 new sheaveboxes from the dutch dragonfly dealer. I disassembled the old sheaveboxes and repaired the threads in the gfk and aluminium-plate inside the laminate. Within a few weeks I will mount them together with new steelcables and swingwing lines.

Roelof