Replacing waterstays in the water?

including Amas (Floats), Akas (Beams) , Swing Wing system and all other hull related issues.
eko_eko
Your Country: USA, Dania Beach

Replacing waterstays in the water?

Post by eko_eko »

We just purchased a used DF920 and are excited to join the Dragonfly family.

Somehow we ended up with only three waterstays. My best guess is that the rigger mislaid it when disassembling the boat for shipping to me.

Here's the question: Can the waterstays be replaced in the water or does it have to be on land? I'd like to avoid another haul-out if I can.

Thanks!
-- Eric
1999 Dragonfly 920
gminkovsky
Your Country: USA, Long Island Sound

Post by gminkovsky »

Yes, you should be able to do it in the water. I adjusted waterstays in the water multiple times. Just bring the boat into very shallow water, partly fold one side, go into the water and do it. You will need to open and fold a few times to adjust to proper tension.
gminkovsky
Your Country: USA, Long Island Sound

Post by gminkovsky »

BTW, where are you getting the new waterstay? The last time i needed to replace waterstays it took me 2 years to get them!
eko_eko

Post by eko_eko »

Thank you!

I ordered them from Quorning via Richard Suriani. He sent me an order form and they are mailing them to me now. It took under a week.

My local rigger could have made them, but it would have taken just as long since they don't keep metric swage studs on-hand.
1999 Dragonfly 920
eko_eko

Post by eko_eko »

I used a cheap intex pool raft as a work platform and was able to replace all four stays with the boat docked normally. The first pair took about three hours, mostly due having to re-adjust the stays when I'd over-tightened them. The second side was much easier and took about two hours.
1999 Dragonfly 920