Rigging for dummies? A simple drawing would do

Mast, Boom, Standing and Running Rigging, Furler System, Reefing, Barberhauler, Lazyjack etc
cogniz
Your Country: USA, Savannah, GA

Rigging for dummies? A simple drawing would do

Post by cogniz »

Just bought SW800 #242 and pulled her to Savannah. The boat has been put up for 2 seasons and I'm finding her quite the puzzle to get assembled.
Might anyone have drawings / sketches of the boat's lines / rigging?

I'm feeling my way along slowly so ANY help tackling my learning curve is greatly appreciated.

Radford Harrell
Savannah, GA
philw
Your Country: UK, Poole

Post by philw »

Hi Radoford,

Welcome and congratulations on the purchace of your DF! They're great!

I don't have any pics of the rigging specifically, but it's all relatively straight forward. If there are specific things you get stuck on I'm sure the forum will be able to help.

Have you found the owners manual on this forum? - that may be of some help. I have some general photos on my boat's facebook page: www.facebook.com/DF800.Trilemma They may also be of some use to you.

Good luck, Phil
Phil Wheeler
DF800 185 - Trilemma

Poole, UK South Coast
cogniz

rigging for dummies? A simple drawing would do

Post by cogniz »

Thanks for the encouragement Phil. I'm wading into it slowly. I figured the mast stepping learning curve is not one to fail on, so I'm looking for a local rigger that will at least hold my hand once...but I'm stubborn enough to forge ahead if I can't find that rigger.

rad
philw wrote:Hi Radoford,

Welcome and congratulations on the purchace of your DF! They're great!

I don't have any pics of the rigging specifically, but it's all relatively straight forward. If there are specific things you get stuck on I'm sure the forum will be able to help.

Have you found the owners manual on this forum? - that may be of some help. I have some general photos on my boat's facebook page: www.facebook.com/DF800.Trilemma They may also be of some use to you.

Good luck, Phil
Radford Harrell
SW800 #242
Christian
Your Country: Sweden, Nacka

Some word of advice

Post by Christian »

Hi Radoford

DF800 comes with 3 different riggings! Mostly due to owner changes. Have a look at http://www.dragonfly-trimarans.org/phpB ... .php?t=421 to figure out which version you got.

Secondly you can't mount the rigg on a folded boat - it has to be unfolded

/ Christian
cogniz

So much to learn..

Post by cogniz »

Thanks Christian.
I'll def check on which rig I've got. Last weekend saw a lot done on the boat. I got the ama's mounted, nets (trampolines?) mounted mostly..looking for some clevis pins this week.

Also, found the mast step aids in the amas. Pretty excited about tackling that learning curve this weekend. And by excited I mean hopeful yet terrified.
Radford Harrell
SW800 #242
Christian

Basic setup

Post by Christian »

The basic rigging is so easy - it is a 3 point rig - typical trimaran (odd for monohull)

1) The forestay goes to the front - it is usually a rolling forestay (at least on the three DF800 I have sailed) - not much to get wrong there.

2) The shrouds split in a "Y" end. Here are some things to look at. The longer wire part shall go to a point on the outside of the ama. It is located about 1 m front of the aft beam. (You can't fasten both these shrouds on a folded boat)
If the tackle is removed - it shall be in the short wire - and in the basic set up - the other end of the tackle mounted on the inside of the ama just aft of the beam. The tackle rope opens in the lower part and goes right into the cockpit. So you may trim the rig from cockpit. It is usually snap hooks on the tackle.

Thats the set up - basic. Then there are those adding extra shrouds.

The idea with the tackle is - going upwind in heavy wind - you need to trim the rig - is easy to see on the other side - the tackle is all lose. And then you have to release the rig sailing in light wing - cause the mast will not rotate.
I have marks on the tackle rope so I can tell if the rig is trimmed symmetric

Raising mast first time - use a crane. Remember the diamond spreader (is that right word?) are below mid of mast, and that is the easy point to lift the mast in - so you will need some extra hands to balance the mast
cogniz

Stepping success...now for launching

Post by cogniz »

Thanks for the guidance Christian. Your clear direction made the setup easy after I discovered what the bag of blocks and line were for!

Now, my question is a launching.
I'm still looking for wet storage (but not sure it's worth the extraordinary costs!!) but in the mean time, I've got a ramp 2 miles from the house.

Here's the question: Can I lock the mast into it's pivot pin and launch the boat amas folded?
Then step the mast on the water (post ama opening)?

The ramp size and access does not really allow for me to spend 40 minutes setting up (open amas, step mast, fold amas, launch) prior to launching...

Need some guidance here.

Thanks again for all who share their hard-earned wisdom. I appreciate it (and need it)!
Radford Harrell
SW800 #242
Christian

Do not try

Post by Christian »

Hi

No. I would not launch the boat with the mast down and the mast-foot locked to the cabin top.
The reason is force - when launching the boat into water there will be forces - the boat moving, waves etc - and these forces may damage the boat. The mast is long and will not move easily.

According to manual you may raise the mast on shore and and launch with mast up - and the boat shall be unfolded. The manual gives two options
1) Launch in full width and mast up
2) Launch folded and mast in transport mode

So it looks like you should launch with mast in transport mode and find a place to raise mast on water. Try to find a crane. Raising on water with out a crane requires a place with no waves. Anybody with experience here?

An remember the pin in the mast foot is only for raising - when sailing - the mast will rotate each track. So the pin shall removed and mastfoot moved aft and pin replaced front of the mast foot. There will probably be a round mark where the mast foot shall be when sailing. And that is just behind the holes for the pin.
/ Christian