Holding tank bladder - Lifespan?

Motor, Motor Maintenance, Winches, Cooker, Heater, Fridge, Battery, Battery Charging, Shore Connection, Instruments, Autopilot, Anchor etc
cogniz
Your Country: USA, Savannah, GA

Holding tank bladder - Lifespan?

Post by cogniz »

Just purchased #242 and found some dark liquid in the bilge. The smell could be organic matter (cockpit drains?) that sat too long but could it be a leaking holding tank bladder?

How long do they last? Source to replace it? Thanks to the collective wisdom.
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Re: Holding tank bladder - Lifespan?

Post by Double Horizon »

cogniz wrote:Just purchased #242 and found some dark liquid in the bilge. The smell could be organic matter (cockpit drains?) that sat too long but could it be a leaking holding tank bladder?

I'm not familiar with the DF800. What material is the tank? If stainless, I'd replace if the tank is original. Urine will eat through stainless in 10 years more or less.
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200
cogniz

Post by cogniz »

Double Horizon wrote:
cogniz wrote:Just purchased #242 and found some dark liquid in the bilge. The smell could be organic matter (cockpit drains?) that sat too long but could it be a leaking holding tank bladder?

I'm not familiar with the DF800. What material is the tank? If stainless, I'd replace if the tank is original. Urine will eat through stainless in 10 years more or less.
Hey Larry. The holding tank appears to be a black rubber bladder sitting in the bilge...I've not done a thorough hand over hand inspection of all the hoses in the centerline bilge but that bladder was explained to me to be the holding tank.
Radford Harrell
SW800 #242
Double Horizon

Post by Double Horizon »

Not familiar with black rubber tanks -- never heard of them being used by Quorning. After owning 3 DFs and sailing others I'd say it's "not their style" to use a bladder tank. Probably an owner mod.

I think you'll have to do your own assessment. Sorry I can't help more.
cogniz

Post by cogniz »

UPDATE:

Leaking bladder from the bottom hose connection. Pulled the head, bladder and all hoses out of the boat and now I'm trying to finalize the smell abatement...Tried vinegar but now I'm on to Simple Green.

On another note, anyone know where to get replacement hose for the cockpit drains? Port side was leaking. I replaced it with rigid wall exhaust hose but it's kinked enough to restrict flow pretty badly.

Any source would be greatly appreciated.
Radford Harrell
SW800 #242
Double Horizon

Post by Double Horizon »

For smell abatement the answer lies not in cleaners or disinfection. The answer is aeration. Any organic material will decay ... if trapped without fresh air circulation the anaerobic bacteria will produce the foulest odors. If allowed to decay with adequate venting, the aerobic bacteria will flourish, and the odors will be tolerable.

Nothing you can do with sewage trapped in hoses. Wipe the outside with KO deodorizer (it contains aerobic microbes that break down the odors). If it is permeated replace the hose if needed. The hose must be impermeable enough to contain the odors.

The tank can be vented - add multiple vents hoses and/or large diameter vent hoses.

Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you use disinfecting cleaners or bleach. They kill the aerobic (friendly bacteria) that reduce odors.

So there are only two approaches; containment or aeration.

More information in the book " GET RID OF BOAT ODORS" by Peggie Hall