Installing VHF antenna

Motor, Motor Maintenance, Winches, Cooker, Heater, Fridge, Battery, Battery Charging, Shore Connection, Instruments, Autopilot, Anchor etc
Christian
Your Country: Sweden, Nacka

Installing VHF antenna

Post by Christian »

Hi
Planning to install a VHF on my DF920.

1) How to get the cable into mast? Can there be a cable tray?
2) Best way to mount the antenna on top?
3) Any ideas for how to make the connection on cabin roof?

/ Christian
gminkovsky
Your Country: USA, Long Island Sound

Post by gminkovsky »

I had this done by the factory. The antenna wire just runs freely inside the mast. Use electrician's snake or stiff wire to thread it through. The cable comes out from the bottom the same as nav lights cables. At the top, there is a hole on the side of the mast. There is an offset mounting bracket with a standard male-female cable connection. The antenna is screwed onto the bracket. I think there is a knot on the cable both inside and outside of the exit hole. Don't remember for sure. I will look at it tomorrow.

The deck connection is a standard EU metric deck fitting with male-female connector. I think this is a big job (for me) as I hate glass work. The cable then runs somewhere inside and enters the electrical panel box.

I installed a VHF/FM separator inside the electrical box so I can use the same antenna for both radios. That was simple.

About 2 years ago my deck end of the wire broke. Took me many months to locate the proper sized fitting in the US. Now the same thing happened at the top. This is easier to repair as I can replace both male and female parts.

The antenna definitely adds incredible range to VHF. I can hear Coast Guard side of the conversations from tens of miles away. HOwever, I find that I use the VHF so infrequently that a hand-held VHF us just as good. (Just my personal opinion.)

If I had to do it myself, I would install antenna on the aft pulpit rail and run the wire in the same conduit as the transom nav light. Cheaper, easier...

Anyway, just ask if you need more details so I can look at my boat while it is in the backyard. I can take pics if needed...