Press button switches for cabin lights.

Motor, Motor Maintenance, Winches, Cooker, Heater, Fridge, Battery, Battery Charging, Shore Connection, Instruments, Autopilot, Anchor etc.
Diana
Your Country: Hampshire, UK
Sailing Area: Europe

Press button switches for cabin lights.

Post by Diana »

We would like to know where to buy replacement press button cabin light switches as one of ours has failed. The switch is a black round button in a clear plastic surround. Does anyone know who makes them or where to buy them?
Mika Harju
Your Country: Finland, Turku

Re: Press button switches for cabin lights.

Post by Mika Harju »

Diana wrote:We would like to know where to buy replacement press button cabin light switches as one of ours has failed. The switch is a black round button in a clear plastic surround. Does anyone know who makes them or where to buy them?
If you can not get information about the original ones, try these:
http://int.rsdelivers.com/
http://www.farnell.com/
Mika Harju
DF1000 Racing #8
buckle.roger
Your Country: spain,benissa/alicante

Post by buckle.roger »

Hi Diana

I think you will find that the round black push button is Ok as it is only a one time contact, The push puton operates a relay, this opften sticks if not used regularly, 'note, when on the boat operate all lights from time to time'
Try pressing the button many times, sometimes this gets the relay goping again

You can hear a click when operating the push buttoms, this is the relay ,problem is finding were they are, I have one behind the hanging locker oposite the galey under the cockpit, I must find the others before I have a failure too.

Hope this helps? If you cant find the relays let me know which switch is the problem and I will look on my 920

Good luck

roger
Diana

Post by Diana »

Roger, Thank you for your thoughts on the push button problem.
The button which operates the pantry lights got stuck in the "in" position and was making permanent contact, which has caused the relay beside the uder cockpit sliding drawer to burn out in a most spectacular fashion. Last Friday night about an hour after going to bed we were awoken by a very acrid smell emanating from the relay. Leaping out of bed we discovered the light button was stuck in and quickly turned off the battery isolator switch, of course it was too late by then! However, I'd like to replace with a matching button if possible. There are some fairly suitable options at Farnell and other online component wholesalers.
Many thanks,
Diana Taylor
Oscar
Your Country: USA, North East

Post by Oscar »

caused the relay beside the uder cockpit sliding drawer to burn out in a most spectacular fashion
Yikes...... :shock:

Why the relays in the design? Anyone?
1990 Dragonfly 25 USA-54
Steve B.
Your Country: USA, Whidbey Island WA

Post by Steve B. »

Oscar wrote:
caused the relay beside the uder cockpit sliding drawer to burn out in a most spectacular fashion
Yikes...... :shock:

Why the relays in the design? Anyone?

The switches are momentary contact.
They energize the relays which are designed to change the state of the lamp contacts with each momentary 12 volt pulse from the switch.

When the switch got stuck in the 'on' position, the relay winding (which is apparently NOT designed for continuous rating) failed by overheating.
This could have caused a complete loss of the boat if not caught!

I'm glad you are OK and that you didn't lose your boat to FIRE !!!

Steve B.
Oscar
Your Country: USA, North East

Post by Oscar »

I understand the HOW, I am wondering about the WHY....

What is wrong with a simple on/off switch? KISS!
1990 Dragonfly 25 USA-54
Steve B.

Post by Steve B. »

Oscar wrote:I understand the HOW, I am wondering about the WHY....

What is wrong with a simple on/off switch? KISS!
It's easy to make 3 way switching arrangement.
Our saloon has a switch at each end.

Maybe Quorning owns a relay company??

<sarcasm>
andycrawford
Your Country: United Kingdom, Poole

Light switches

Post by andycrawford »

Hi Diana. I know the posts were some time ago, but could you please tell me how you solved the problem. I have a switch that has failed, but see from the very helpful advice from others that it may in fact be the relay. Did you replace the switch and/or relay, and where did you get them from. Could you give me the spec, I have looked on the sites mentioned in the posts, and there are hundreds of products! Just need to know the correct one. Many thanks
Diana

Post by Diana »

Hi Andy.
We never did find a match for the push button and we looked for over a year. In the end we just took it to bits and carefully cleaned it, lubricated it (sparingly) and reassembled it. We take care to make sure it always comes back out after we have pushed it.
We did find the relay and have now had to replace two (different ones). These we got from Conrad Electronics
www.conrad-electronic.co.uk
The part number is 503399-LN
Put it in the search bar at the top of their website and it should come up - £9.49 + VAT
Hope that is helpful
Diana
andycrawford
Your Country: United Kingdom, Poole

Light switches/relays

Post by andycrawford »

Hi Diana,
Thanks very much for the information on the relays. Just one more question, where was the relay on your boat located for the light above the galley? I think that was the one you had trouble with, and I have the same problem in the same location.
Steve B.

Follow the "Click" sound

Post by Steve B. »

On my DF1000, there are several relays for lights.
They are mounted behind the electrical panel.

Listen for the click sound and you should be able to find your relay(s).
Diana

Post by Diana »

Hi Andy
I don't know if they are all the same. We have the sink and the electrical switch panel on the port side just inside the door. If you pull out the drawer from under the cockpit sole and crawl into the space under the cockpit, it is on the floor on the port side close to the rear of the bulkhead between the cabin and the cockpit.
If like ours the second time around when the relay stopped working it also stopped clicking you may have to use an electrical tester or use a bit of trial and error to find out if you are replacing the correct relay.
Good luck
Diana