Tramps - repair or replace?

including Amas (Floats), Akas (Beams) , Swing Wing system and all other hull related issues.
cogniz
Your Country: USA, Savannah, GA

Tramps - repair or replace?

Post by cogniz »

Hey y'all

I've read the forums but hoped for some more current info.
The trampolines (nets?) are coming up on 20 years old I'd guess and show some previous repairs. While out today we noticed a seperation mid-tramp outboard from the plastic mesh and the sewn webbing.
It's about 6 inches long. Told the kids to avoid it but the tramp still feels secure.

Question. Worth repairing? Get a rehab of both tramps? Replace them?
Keep in mind I've got three kids and I'm a pastor!

But of course I don't want to kick the can down the road. I knew she was a bit old when we bought her...

Based on your answer, resources for repair or replacing get extra points!
Thank everyone that shares their wisdom so readily. I'm indebted.

Rad
Radford Harrell
SW800 #242
Steve B.
Your Country: USA, Whidbey Island WA

Mat Repair

Post by Steve B. »

I resewed my DF1000 mats a couple of times with sail thread.
Each time it only lasted a couple of years.
Then I resewed them with Tenara thread (GoreTex) from sailrite.com
That was about 8 years ago, and it looks like I sewed it yesterday.
If you repair the tramps, make SURE it's with Tenara thread.
It's tough to sew with because it's so slippery (teflon), but definitely worth the hassle.
gminkovsky
Your Country: USA, Long Island Sound

Post by gminkovsky »

Repair. New polyester 2-inch webbing all around and Tenara thread. Buy your own cone of tenara and bring the whole thing to a canvas person. They will have the 2-inch webbing. Take your Tenara cone back when done. It will last you for all of your repairs.

Double-check that you do not need to replace the bolt rope that slides into the track on the main hull and forward wing. Replace with new bolt rope if shows any tears. The bolt rope is available from Richard S. or a canvas person MAY be able to find it.
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Post by Double Horizon »

Your instinct is right cogniz -- don't delay that repair because it will fail completely (and hopefully not at the worst possible time).

In my experience, the polyester bolt rope webbing only lasts about 3-4 years here in New England, even with the nets stored indoors from November through April. The UV degrades the strength.

I agree with George. I recently had both nets sewn with new borders using Tenara thread. Instead of using the polyester bolt rope webbing, they removed the core from the original bolt rope and used heavy Stamoid PVC coated polyester fabric to enclose the original bolt rope core. The Stamoid is more UV resistant than polyester webbing.
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200
EarthBM
Your Country: USA, So Cal -- So Florida

Post by EarthBM »

I would really like to replace factory trampolines with more open mesh:
http://dragonfly-trimarans.org/phpBB/vi ... .php?t=620

So far this is just a project in my head. But with some threads giving up I may actually try to do something about it later this year
Ivan -- DF 35 #29 "Lykke"
Jeff deziel
Your Country: USA, Stuart, Fl

Trampoline attachment to AMA

Post by Jeff deziel »

Would anyone know where to find the plastic spool looking pieces the tramps lace to on the amas of the old DF 25 fixed wing?
Jeff, from Stuart, Fl, USA
TC
Your Country: USA, Sedro-Woolley

Net Replacement

Post by TC »

Check out: http://www.dragonfly-trimarans.org/phpB ... .php?t=779

Most of the way down are a couple pics of the net replacement aboard Strider. Not completely satisfied with the 'floating' sides, that is the sides not fixed in the rail, but I'm working on them by sewing the net to the dyneema.

Anyway, I'm pretty satisfied overall, just need some refining.
TC

Formerly of:
Strider
DF 1000 #17