Email address compromised

For issues which concern all or several type of DFs and which DO NOT fit into any category below!
Bo Wetzel
Site Admin
Your Country: France, Provence

Email address compromised

Post by Bo Wetzel »

Unfortunately, my AOL email account has been compromised and been used to send SPAM. If you have received anything a link and no good explanation from me DON'T open the link!

Thank you for your understanding. I'm working on it to have it resolved.

Bo Wetzel
Bo Wetzel
Site Admin
Your Country: France, Provence

The danger of the "cloud"

Post by Bo Wetzel »

Further investigation into my compromised AOL email account leads me to believe there was no breach of security at my computer which is well protected but at the AOL server e.g. the "cloud".

AOL's security said in a security update that third-party digital forensic investigators hired by the company found "unauthorized access to information regarding a significant number of user accounts. "The information accessed by attackers "included AOL users' email addresses, postal addresses, address book contact information, encrypted passwords, and encrypted answers to security questions that we ask when a user resets his or her password, as well as certain employee information."

I DO NOT use "cloud" computing but AOL stores user data including contact details on their server (see above).

So be warned DON'T leave your data in the "cloud" if you can avoid it.
DON'T buy into the hype of cloud computing ! ! ! unless you want to share all you data with the whole world.

Everybody who has been around since the late 60's in IT knows that "off site" data processing/storage is the greatest risk to data security. Hence, as soon as companies could afford it they pulled their data processing from data processing centres back in house.
Anybody now telling you the cloud is a good thing think twice!
BTW did you know every email and SMS is scanned/read by the computers of the security services!
Happy computing!