DF920 Touring vs Racing

For all those DF920 issues which do not fit into any of the categories below.
Meganeura
Your Country: Denmark, Fredensborg

DF920 Touring vs Racing

Post by Meganeura »

I am looking to buy a used DF920 and wondered if anyone could tell me the difference in performance between the Touring and Racing. I know that there is also the Extreme version, which is out of my price range, but is there also a Cruising version, and if so, how does this differ?

Thanks!
Fritz
Your Country: Germany, Schleswig

Post by Fritz »

Ok, I´ll try. The Racing/ Extreme is wider and therefore can carry more sails. In lighter wind conditions this is of advantage. I sailed my Extreme during Kiel Week 2018 against a DF 920 touring which was very well sailed. Going upwind it was pretty close with the extreme being finally well ahead.
In stronger winds 16-18 knots, we broke even going upwind.
However, due to the wider beam I feel safer in rough conditions while also having more buoyancy.
Hope this helps.

Fritz
Have a happy day on the water!

Fritz
Meganeura
Your Country: Denmark, Fredensborg

Post by Meganeura »

Hi Fritz - thanks for the reply. Interesting that going upwind the difference is not so great. I guess offwind the difference will be more pronounced. Incidentally I think that the racing has the same amas as the touring, but just a bigger main, and it is only the extreme that has both more sail area and is wider with more buoyancy in the amas.

James
EarthBM
Your Country: USA, So Cal -- So Florida

Post by EarthBM »

My recollection is that there were only two versions of 920 - think "racing" wasn't something marketed by Quorning as a separate model. I think owners themselves probably added some sporty equipment and designated their boat as "racing".

920 is the only Dragonfly where "extreme" meant something other than just the taller mast, but also a wider beam. Clearly a good feature in my book.
Ivan -- DF 35 #29 "Lykke"
Roelof Beukinga
Your Country: Netherlands,Makkum

DF920 Touring vs Racing

Post by Roelof Beukinga »

EarthBM wrote:My recollection is that there were only two versions of 920 - think "racing" wasn't something marketed by Quorning as a separate model. I think owners themselves probably added some sporty equipment and designated their boat as "racing".
Ivan your wrong it's not an owner gimmick:
Quorning started with building the 920 cruising with flat beams. Afterwards they put more sail on it (longer boom, same mast, same beams) and called it the racing model. This model is faster in lighter winds. ( see the cruisingmodel as sailing the 920R with the first reef always in)
The later touring model has the same mast en sailarea as the 920R, but has the newer curved beams like the extreme. The extreme has the longer mast, wider beams and more sailarea.
The curved beams makes the touringmodel sailing less wet in waves in comparison to the cruising and racing models.
Christian
Your Country: Sweden, Nacka

Think it was like this

Post by Christian »

First there was 920
Then 920R (racing) -- with longer boom
And then 920E (extrem) with wider new beams (and longer mast)

Are there any other models?