DF35 Centreboard Downhaul

For issues which concern all or several type of DFs and which DO NOT fit into any category below!
DF35-6
Your Country: UK, London

DF35 Centreboard Downhaul

Post by DF35-6 »

My dyneema centreboard downhaul line came off yesterday. It wasn't broken, just came clean away. I've taken off the table top to reveal the housing. By pushing down the centreboard by 20-30 degrees I can see a hole in the edge of the centreboard. However, other than that, I'm unable to work out how the line should run. I have seen earlier posts, including one link to a photo outside this site (which has now been removed). Does anyone have a diagram or could they please describe the path of the downhaul line and any associated fixings/running gear.
EarthBM
Your Country: USA, So Cal -- So Florida

Post by EarthBM »

There is a diagram in the printed boat manual. It is fairly straightforward with the lines in red and green.

There is a hole at the corner of the board. The line enters it and then there is a round opening in one of the sides. Not unlike some IKEA furniture. You tie a knot and it resides in that opening. My post was about how to slide that line out of that opening, tie a stopper knot large enough and then push it back -- there is just not enough width in the slot for that. The pic just showed how tight the space was. I did this at the end but can't recall how. Most likely I had the line still in there and tied the replacement line to it.

If the end of your line is clean cut then your knot must've gotten undone. If it's chafed it's probably something like a barnacle that got in the line's way. In any case, putting too much winch on the downhaul is a bad idea because it may press the edge of the board against the forward edge of the slot, damaging it potentially (if the uphaul stopper knot if not calibrated right).
Ivan -- DF 35 #29 "Lykke"
EarthBM
Your Country: USA, So Cal -- So Florida

Post by EarthBM »

I found the diagram, don't know how to post though. Email me at my username at gmail and I'll send it to you .
Ivan -- DF 35 #29 "Lykke"
Lionel.alladio
Your Country: Canada,Bonaventure/Quebec

Post by Lionel.alladio »

EarthBM wrote:I found the diagram, don't know how to post though. Email me at my username at gmail and I'll send it to you .
Hello
Have recently acquired a DF25 . THe dagger board uphaul and downhaul has been modified and you have to go on the front deck to raise and lower the board . I have noticed once the board is out a set of blocks at the base and top of the dagger board pit with different holes in the board . I suspect they are the original set up . Would you be so kind to send me the diagram earlier mentionned in order to give me an idea how the up and downhaul work.
Please send me at lionel.alladio@gmail.com
Thankyou and happy sailing