Checking bolts for waterstay on hull

For all those DF920 issues which do not fit into any of the categories below.
Jakob Madsen
Your Country: Copenhagen

Checking bolts for waterstay on hull

Post by Jakob Madsen »

One day, swimming around the boat (DF920 no 10) I noticed that the bracket that connects the waterstay to the hull was gaping. The one bolt was broken and the other formed like an "S" - almost.

Quorning said that the bolts with the round head had no designation of quality, and therefore on later models was changed to bolts with hexagon heads of a quality A4-70 or A4-80 and with "clear shaft" or whatever it's called.

This was just to say that if you have an older model, you should check the bolts, and if necessary change them.
Jakob Madsen, DF28
Callander
Your Country: Southampton

Waterstay chainplate bolts have sheared

Post by Callander »

Hello Jakob - I have just discovered similar and it has even cracked a bit of the hull. Did you have this problem - the inner plate is probably 30mm away from the outer chainplate and therefore there is a terrific angular stress on the bolts. Quorning have told me as well to change the bolts but I will aso have to fix the holes through the hull.
DF920 "Katja"
Jakob Madsen
Your Country: Copenhagen

Post by Jakob Madsen »

Hello Katja

It's some years ago now but I don't remember any damages in the hull. Maybe it makes sense to fill up the holes with epoxy filler to reduce angular tensions.
Jakob Madsen, DF28