Rudder downhaul cable

including Amas (Floats), Akas (Beams) , Swing Wing system and all other hull related issues.
EarthBM
Your Country: USA, So Cal -- So Florida

Rudder downhaul cable

Post by EarthBM »

I got a couple splintered strands in the cable that connects the rudder itself to the downhaul line. So remembering Larry's advice I want to replace it, but the eye fitting doesn't get through the 90-degree elbow in the metal tube. I could just cut the cable and replace it with one that has one of the eyes removable on a thread. Is there an easier/better solution?

Does anyone know the length of this cable?

A pretty mission-critical part, so has to be done right.
Ivan -- DF 35 #29 "Lykke"
Mika Harju
Your Country: Finland, Turku

Re: Rudder downhaul cable

Post by Mika Harju »

Why not Dyneema?
I have had Dyneema downhauler for years now without any problems.
Mika Harju
DF1000 Racing #8
EarthBM

Post by EarthBM »

I am thinking about that. What diameter Dyneema do you use? Do you use thimbles and splicing to preserve breaking strength or just oversized rope?

At least on the 35 it goes through a 90-degree bend in the pipe and would rub against it (no way to have a block there). I guess the pipe is smooth enough not to chafe Dyneema, but there is no way to inspect rope for chafe in that pipe. Also when the rudder is turned all the way (as in heaving to) it would rub against the exit hole.

A little scary to lose steering if it breaks, but on the positive side much easier to repair.
Mika Harju

Post by Mika Harju »

In DF1000 there are no sharp edges to chafe the rope. My rope is over sized Dyneema SK75 diameter 5mm without overbraid , Brummelman splicings on the both ends. I am replacing it with a new one every 2nd year. My rudder is a One-Off without any fitting for the rope, just a hole near the leading edge for the rope.

How about double rope for safety? The primary one is for normal use and a secondary, just a few millimeters longer, is for backup? In DF1000 this would work if needed.
Mika Harju
DF1000 Racing #8
EarthBM

Post by EarthBM »

Great idea about the second rope! This way it will also give the signal that the first one broke (when the rudder slips aft)!

Thanks Mika!

One-off rudder? Just higher aspect ratio or something else? Have you considered adding winglets? I asked about them here: http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index. ... ing-multis and the responses are pretty positive.
Mika Harju

Post by Mika Harju »

Take a look at this topic:
http://dragonfly-trimarans.org/phpBB/vi ... .php?t=690

I bought it from Canada, CCI Competition Composites Inc
http://www.fastcomposites.ca/site/marin ... dragonfly/

I can not recommend this factory . I designed the rudder blade and they made load calculations and engineered the core structure. The first rudder blade broke after 4 hours and 30NM. They made another for free, but the quality was not as good as in the first one.

Now they are selling my design without asking a permission from me. When we started I told them it is my design.

Now it has been in use for 4 seasons and every year I need to make some carbon fiber work to fix it.

Anyhow it is faster and the grip is much better at high speeds.

Yes, I thought about winglets and theoretically they would help but I rejected the idea because of rocks. We have shallow waters here and a lot of rocks. I hit a couple of rocks every year.

If you need 3D CAD models, photos or more information just ask.
Mika Harju
DF1000 Racing #8
EarthBM

Post by EarthBM »

Thanks Mika, looks like a good improvement.