Furler

Mast, Boom, Standing and Running Rigging, Furler System, Reefing, Barberhauler, Lazyjack etc
rolfknudsen
Your Country: United Kingdon

Furler

Post by rolfknudsen »

Hello

I have just bought a DF800, which is great.
While I have been able to work my way through all systems one thing still puzzles me, the furler system for the jib.

This an image of how this looks: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xp64sehp7tyvr ... r.jpg?dl=0

The way I understand it, is that the sail attaches to the fitting which I then hoisted, but what I do not understand is how the halyard doesn't twist?
The quick release - how does this work? What is this for and how does it attach?

Any help would be much appreciated - I haven't been able to spot the system anywhere else on other dragonfly's in the harbour....

Thanks,

Rolf
Stefan Kolmodin
Your Country: Sweden, Varmdo

Post by Stefan Kolmodin »

Hi Rolf,
I have the same furler and it's quite clever.
In your jib luff there should be a thin release line for the quick release. Attach this to the thin cable attached to the hook in the top part. Then you attach your gennaker halyard to a open hook and this to the schackel at the top part's outside and also attaches a thin line to the same hook. Then hoist the jib until it hooks onto the top swirvel and then you pull your gennaker halyard down again. The jib is now hooked up in the top without any halyard. To get the jib down you use the thin release line at the bottom luff end. To adjust luff tension you use a thin downhaul line to the schackle at the bottom part. If the jib is too high up you can use a short loop of dyneema between the top part and the top of the jib. Not that easy to explain in words. Welcome to give me a call at +46738833825 if you need.
Congrats to a fantastic little boat!
Cheers
Stefan
DF800R, SWE-257
rolfknudsen

Post by rolfknudsen »

Hi Stefan

Most helpful!

Based on your explanation, we where so very nearly there in understanding the system. It's very clever.

I am away now, but look forward to testing the theory.
And than you for making yourself available - most appreciated.

I have one more question I am hoping you could help me with:

Studying images of other DF800's it doesn't look like the boat type has a boom vang. Is that right?

Thank you!

Rolf
Stefan Kolmodin

Hi Rolf,

That's correct no boom vang since it's rarely needed. In such a fast tri you never go deep downwind and the speed bends the apparent wind forward. A good setting could be on max upwind you put the traveler in the middle and take home the sheet hard. When turning to reaching you always start letting the traveler down and only when it's all the way down you start easing the sheet out and max is when the battens touch the backstay.

Another important trim is the alpha regulator which is where the boom vang normally is. This should be attached to the boom making the mast rotate automatically when you tack or gybe. A good tip is to install adjustable lines to this down to the sides of the roof. This way you can trim the mast rotation - should be rotated a lot in light wind making the battens bend resulting in a deeper main sail with max power. When the wind increase you gradually decrease the rotation resulting in a flat sail harder tensioned battens, you can also use them to stop the mast from over rotating. See this photo of my setup https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater .
Good luck!
DF800R, SWE-257
rolfknudsen

Post by rolfknudsen »

Hi Stefan

Again, many, many thanks for this!

I have the lines in place you mention and will follow your directions on how to trim. Interesting that the boat can be sailed without a boom vang.

Having images of your boat is really helpful. Lovely boat by the way and the images are definitely selling the dream:-)

Thank you!
Rolf
Stefan Kolmodin

Hi Rolf
No problem at all.
Welcome to join our FB group "Svenska Flerskrovsvänner" mostly in Swedish but growing more and more international and with many Dragonfly sailor-members. Possibly you can pick up tips and inspiration and no problem at all to ask or post in English.
Cheers!
DF800R, SWE-257
rolfknudsen

Post by rolfknudsen »

Hi

That's great! Will join....

Thank you,

Rolf
Bengt Borge
Your Country: Norway, Bergen

Picture of the snap hook system on jib furler

Post by Bengt Borge »

Hi. I am very interrested in pictures of this snap hook system on the jib furler. Any chances that you could re-post the pictures in that non-working Dropbox link at the top in this post?