sun/rain tent

For all those DF800 issues which do not fit into any of the categories below.
Christian
Your Country: Sweden, Nacka

sun/rain tent

Post by Christian »

Hi
Anybody got ideas/drawings/photos for a sun/rain tent covering most of the boat?
Christian
johp
Your Country: Netherlands, Friesland and waddenzee

Re: sun/rain tent

Post by johp »

Christian wrote:Hi
Anybody got ideas/drawings/photos for a sun/rain tent covering most of the boat?
Christian

Hi Christian,
I made one year ago a full cover over my DF800. It survived winterstorm of 10Bft in an half open harbour in the North of the Netherlands. I use it for covering in the harbour and when on the trailer.
It takes about 10 min. to take it off and about 15 min. to put it back on.
Typical this was to cover it from all sunload and to keep the boat a bit more clean. This works well. It is not intended to be fully watertight and for easy handling it is in two halfs, one for port and one for starboard. The split is at the boom and from mast to nose of the boat.
It covers the folded boat almost fully.

I made it from standard reinforced PVC clothing what is used normally for trucks. it is standard 2.5 m width and I bought about 18m.
The mounting points I made myself out of 15cm polyester poles of an old shelter and with rivets/pvc-strip/poles/glue/3mm-dynema I made in about 3 hours a tent.
Every mounting point is as strong as the weight of the boat.
Total cost is about 4 euro/m2, so about 200 euro for the clothing and say 25 euro for the rest.
Johan
Please click on any of the photos to see them enlarged!

Image Image Image Image Image
MJF
Your Country: UK, Macclesfield / Cheshire

Post by MJF »

This looks really good!

Can you post a photo of your first diagram
I think you have folded the material round a pole and riveted it then put the cord round the pole - is this the case?
johp
Your Country: Netherlands, Friesland and waddenzee

Post by johp »

Nice that this topic is active after 6 years.
Sorry, but I don't have the diagram anymore.
But you are right about the way it is constructed.
The PVC cloth is folded around the polyester pole, with some glue to fixate the cloth together (you have special soft PVC glue). Then two PVC strips, one at each side of the glued part and stiff against the polyester pole.
The I drilled 2 holes just at the side of the polyester pole, so through the edge of the PVC strips. Then the 3 mm dyneema. I wounded the 3 mm dyneema 2 times around the pole. So you just pull the pole by the dyneema and the pole pulls the cloth. Extreme strong.
After several years now the cloth is giving up and I should build a new one next year. Also I had to replace on some places the dyneema, because it was weared out to much. But on some places (the front 4) it survives forever.
The shape I did make by just building it at the boat. Start at the nose, then the mast and boom. Later on the outside. You cut what you think is good. Don't make the flaps at the amas to long, the wind damages the gellcoat. I made it so short, it only hits the strip at the deck of the amas.

Good luck with building.
Johan Pragt
DF920#32
Flabbergast
NL
Christian

Sun tent for summer days

Post by Christian »

This thread took a different turn than I thought, my question was not so well-spoken. What I thought of was a hot summer day. A day with no wind. A day when you want shade over the trampolines. Has anyone made a tent to shade the trampolines? Seen photos somewhere on internet of a simpel sun-tent going from ama to ama via the boom.
Paul
Your Country: Australia, Cairns

Post by Paul »

Hi Christian, I havn't made a shade tent for my DF but did make one for my previous 10 meter catamaran. You need to be able to loosen the lazy jacks so that the tent can be draped over the boom (or run a line under the boom which the tent can be draped over, but on top of the boom works best) Basically I had a lift point in the middle of the "tent" and attached the main halyard to this lift point which keeps the tent tight and gives good shape, one end attached to the mast the other to the end of the boom. I tied the tent to the side shrouds -- you may need to make a vertical pole of some sort to hold the forward end up as the shrouds on DF are towards the stern.

Hope this helps. If your boat has a boom bag, another solution is to have a sail maker sew a zipper along each side and make up a shade cloth tent that zips on. Good luck with it.

cheers, Paul
Christian

Thanks

Post by Christian »

Paul, good points. Have to do some thinking. The forward outer end seems to be the problem - there is no shroud to use there. Maybe I'll make a temorary "shroud" for the tent.

/ Christian
Paul
Your Country: Australia, Cairns

Post by Paul »

Yes the forward outer end is the problem. Maybe use the spinnaker halyard and the genoa halyard -- if you have one?
On my cat the lazy jacks ran through blocks on the spreaders then to a ring on the front of the mast then a single line ran to a cleat on the front of the mast allowing the lazy jacks to be lengthened so the tent could be laid across the boom-- worked very well.