Anchor questions

Motor, Motor Maintenance, Winches, Cooker, Heater, Fridge, Battery, Battery Charging, Shore Connection, Instruments, Autopilot, Anchor etc.
saillikeawinner
Your Country: England, Somerset

Anchor questions

Post by saillikeawinner »

Hi everyone
I would really appreciate some advice about main anchor and second (kedge) anchor: types, weights, length of chain and size of chain for each.
Thanks very much in advance for any help.
Jim
gminkovsky
Your Country: USA, Long Island Sound

Post by gminkovsky »

On my 920 the primary anchor is Fortress FX-16 with 12 feet of 5/16 inch chain and 150 feet of 5/8 inch double-braided nylon. My secondary is Delta 22 with 5/16 chain and 300 feet of 3-strand nylon. I also have a bridal permanently attached to the rode with Wichard snapshackles to attach to the eye on the ama. There are a few write-ups in the forum on anchoring, including details of my setup. Just search for it.

On your 800 you can go 1 size lower on everything.

Also, the length of the rode really depends on the depth of your anchoring areas. I am very conservative and use 7 to 1 or 10 to 1 scope. This held in 30 to 40 kn winds.

The anchor type also depends on the bottom type. I prefer fortress. It works well for me in sand, mud and grass. Delta is supposed to be better in mud, but it dragged for me on short scope.

If I were to get new rode today, I would use 8-plait rope. The rest would be the same.
saillikeawinner
Your Country: England, Somerset

Post by saillikeawinner »

Super useful, thanks very much for that.

Jim