Replacement Mainsail

Mast, Boom, Standing and Running Rigging, Furler System, Reefing, Barberhauler, Lazyjack etc
Roger Nelson
Your Country: Cayman Islands

Replacement Mainsail

Post by Roger Nelson »

the mainsail (Elvstrom Technora laminate) on my 28 sport is in its 3rd season of light to moderate use and am uncertain I'll get a 4th season from it. The fiber seems ok but the laminate is going papery and will shortly start to peel away.

We get a lot of intense sun here in Grand Cayman and I'm sure it is the UV which is causing the premature deterioration.

Does anyone have any views on expected durability of a mainsail in a similar climate and what might be the best sailcloth (low stretch, light but decent durability) for a replacement? Also do you have any suggestions for a sailmaker other than Elvstrom for a replacement mainsail?

If any dragonfly owners/sailors are visiting Grand Cayman I would be pleased to meet up.
Stefan Kolmodin
Your Country: Sweden, Varmdo

Post by Stefan Kolmodin »

Hi Roger,
A long way from Cayman but you could always check with Mats Johansson at Gransegel here in Sweden. Loads of experience both as Dragonfly sailor and sail maker. Gransegel are market leader premium sail makers for cruising/racing multihulls over here and have done a lot of sails to DF28S. Check out www.gransegel.se with current USD/SEK rate it could be a good deal as well.
DF800R, SWE-257
Roger Nelson

replacement mainsail

Post by Roger Nelson »

thanks for the response I will take your advice
EarthBM
Your Country: USA, So Cal -- So Florida

Post by EarthBM »

Are you zipping up the sails when not in use? 3 seasons for Technora sound like something is not done right.
Ivan -- DF 35 #29 "Lykke"
Stefan Kolmodin

My racing laminate main from Gransegel is into season 13 now and still competitive - with a lot of care, some repairs and carbon fibre tape.
DF800R, SWE-257
Mika Harju
Your Country: Finland, Turku

Post by Mika Harju »

Stefan Kolmodin wrote:My racing laminate main from Gransegel is into season 13 now and still competitive - with a lot of care, some repairs and carbon fibre tape.
I have had three High Tech membrane sails from Gransegel. Technora/Carbon yarns and no taffeta.
The first jib broke down after 2000NM and one season, Mats made a new one for free. The second jib broke after 1500NM and one season, it is repaired now. Still working but no good anymore.
The main sail broke into pieces after 6000NM and three seasons.
With those sails the sail cost is almost 2€/NM in performance cruising.
They are fast sails but not durable enough. UV, folding during storage and chafing kills these sails too quickly.
Mika Harju
DF1000 Racing #8
Mika Harju
Your Country: Finland, Turku

Post by Mika Harju »

Stefan Kolmodin wrote:My racing laminate main from Gransegel is into season 13 now and still competitive - with a lot of care, some repairs and carbon fibre tape.
I have had three High Tech membrane sails from Gransegel. Technora/Carbon yarns and no taffeta.
The first jib broke down after 2000NM and one season, Mats made a new one for free. The second jib broke after 1500NM and one season, it is repaired now. Still working but no good anymore.
The main sail broke into pieces after 6000NM and three seasons.
With those sails the sail cost is almost 2€/NM in performance cruising.
They are fast sails but not durable enough. UV, folding during storage and chafing kills these sails too quickly.
Mika Harju
DF1000 Racing #8
Stefan Kolmodin

Gransegel has of course all kinds of cloth for all purposes.
It’s critical to communicate to your sailmaker how you use your boat and what your expectations/preferences are.
The goal is to identify the right balance between performance and durability which is individual to all sailors/boats/circumstances.
Everybody wants a fast sail that lasts forever and costs nothing…
My experience with Gransegel is that they aren’t overselling on durability expectations rather the opposite knowing the importance of satisfied customers.
Also the racing laminates have developed a lot last couple of years regarding durability.
After 12,5 seasons with my racing laminate main I’m now saving up to order a new main this autumn and the order will definitely go to Gransegel since I’m confident I’ll get a damn fast sail with reasonable durability as long I take care of the sail best way possible – it’ll not be the cheapest but for sure the best bang for my sparse bucks.
It’d be interesting to investigate the big difference between mine and Mika´s experience – I’ll follow it up with Mats.
Now I’m off sailing B-)
DF800R, SWE-257
Roger Nelson

mainsail

Post by Roger Nelson »

in answer to the question raised I always fit the mainsail/boom cover after every session albeit not when anchoring for a few hours. Due to the deterioation. I've now started using the boom cover even when anchoring for a couple of hours...bit of a hassle but doing what i can to get a bit more use. Surprisingly the genoa seems to be surviving much better and am hopeful will get 2 or more further seasons from this sail.