Synthetic stays/rigging for DFs?

Mast, Boom, Standing and Running Rigging, Furler System, Reefing, Barberhauler, Lazyjack etc
Bo Wetzel
Site Admin
Your Country: France, Provence

Synthetic stays/rigging for DFs?

Post by Bo Wetzel »

[originally from: Luc Pont, Netherlands, 4 Aug 2006]

For understandable security reasons Dragonfly advises us to get new waterstays every 3 years. Although 85% of the many miles I made in my 920 the past 6 seasons weren't rough at all, I think time has come to replace them next winter. For this reason and for a possible replacement of the mainstay-backstay combination I consider synthetic material. The advantages are obvious: far less weight by the same or even more strength, no more damages to the hulls (waterstays), deck (stays when lowering the mast) and mainsail (chafing when going downwind). The only disadvantage I can think of, and only in case of the waterstays, is that you have to adjust the stays after some time, because the material tends to stretch a little.
Many multihull sailors use synthetic stays, mostly from Erik Precourt from Canada (see www.precourt.ca) who also sells beautiful rigging accessoires to rig it all up.
Question: Does any Dragonfly sailor has experiences with this? Thanks, Luc.
Bo Wetzel
Site Admin
Your Country: France, Provence

Re: Synthetic stays/rigging for DFs?

Post by Bo Wetzel »

[originally from: George Minkovsky, USA, 5 Aug 2006]
A few notes:
I think the waterstays require replacement every 10000 nm or 5 years whichever comes first (according to my 920 manual).
There is an excellent article in the latest issue of Multihull World magazine on synthetic rigging as was used in equipping a new cruising cat.
I believe that Jens actually considered using synthetic rigging as OEM equipment. It would be best to get his opinion on the subject.
Adjusting the waterstays would be relatively easy - screw the connectors deeper and deeper into the main hull and into aka. However, how would one attach the rope to the connector? This would require making custom fittings.
Double Horizon
Your Country: USA

Synthetic rigging

Post by Double Horizon »

I have the Dynex synthetic shrouds from Precourt systems and will install them soon. On my DF-1000 they save 14 pounds compared with the steel backstay shrouds, and should be stronger.

I'm told Dynex is not suitable for jumper stays along the mast, or waterstays, because it does elongate slightly over time if they are under constant tension. Also, it would be more vulnerable to wear from abrasion against the spreaders, compared with steel.

There would be many benefits to synthetic waterstays if it could be engineered in a way that allowed simple adjustment from deck level at the beam ends. The attachment method at the ends of the crossbeams would require real engineering.

The Dynex doesn't corrode, but due to UV vulnerability would still need to be replaced once in a while for preventive maintenance. Precourt recommends a 5-year service life in the tropics, or 7 years in more temperate zones such as the northeast US. The Dynex has a urethane coating to protect against UV. Precourt also offers a service to re-coat the synthetic rigging every few years to extend life, but it must be sent to them so this could be done during winter lay-up.
Larry - Former Owner DF-1200