Request for diagrams/pictures anchoring

Motor, Motor Maintenance, Winches, Cooker, Heater, Fridge, Battery, Battery Charging, Shore Connection, Instruments, Autopilot, Anchor etc
Joyce
Your Country: USA,BOSTON/MA

Request for diagrams/pictures anchoring

Post by Joyce »

How do you set up a bridle when anchoring- on the 920?

When a front and rear anchor would be helpful, what procedure would you use? What would you carry for a second anchor? Where would you store it?

Our anchor in the locker is not pre-attached to anything. Do you leave it tied to the front cleat or just tie it on when you're going to use it?
Last edited by Joyce on Sun 17 Jun 07, 21:30, edited 1 time in total.
tpaliwoda
Your Country: USA, Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, New Jersey

Re: Request for diagrams/pictures anchoring and mooring

Post by tpaliwoda »

Joyce wrote:How do you set up a bridle when mooring and or anchoring - on the 920?

When a front and rear anchor would be helpful, what procedure would you use? What would you carry for a second anchor? Where would you store it?

Our anchor in the locker is not pre-attached to anything. Do you leave it tied to the front cleat or just tie it on when you're going to use it?
For the anchoring question, you attach it to the front mooring cleat. Attach the bitter end to something in the anchor locker.
As for the second anchor, it is either for a two-way anchor, I think it is called a Bahama or Bermuda Anchor. Where both anchors are set 90 degrees apart from each other. Great for storm conditions.

As for the mooring question, Look in this this forum under "general" - "moorings, what works, what dosen't" for an earlier answer to your question.

Bo - you mayt want to move this to that topic so we don't have multiple topics for the same topic.
Ted Paliwoda
D'Fly 1000 ; HN #1
Nice Tri
Raritan YC, Perth Amboy, NJ, USA
gminkovsky
Your Country: USA, Long Island Sound

Re: Request for diagrams/pictures anchoring and mooring

Post by gminkovsky »

On anchoring: I have 2 anchors - a fortress fx-16 and delta-22. I prefer fortress most of the time. It is lighter, sets better in mud. I have 2 anchor rodes: 12 foot chain on each, 5/8 inch double-braid nylon 140 feet and 5/8 inch 3-strand nylon 250 feet. The rope is attached to chain with a shackle and seized with nylon tie and wire. At the end of the chain is a large wichard snap. This way I can easily move rodes and anrchors. I have 2 25 foot nylon 5/8 inch double-braid lines to use as bridle. One 25 foot line is permanently tied to the other about 2 feet above working end. This working end of the second line is tied to the anchor line with a rolling hitch which allows easy adjustment of the position of bridle over the anchor line. The bitter end of each bridle has a large wichard snap. Also, the last 2 feet of each bridle are covered with polyesther antichafe guard. Each bridle is attached to the eyes on the outboard end of forward aka. The anchor line itself is attchaed to the bow mooring cleat. The bowsprit must be in up position to prevent chafe. The primary anchor rode is slack from the bridle to the cleat - all anchor load is on bridle lines. I usually try to keep a 7 to 1 or better scope counting high tide depth + 4 feet from water to mooring cleat. This does require wide swing circle, but ensures safety. The boat tends to swing left to right at anchor but does not sail up and down. We spend about 20 nights at anchor each year in various conditions. The setup works well. I've seen other boats drag in 30-40 knots of wind while my fortress would dig in 3 feet into the mud.

Setting the anchor is a very methodical process. I will aweigh and reset until I am sure that the anchor holds. My procedure is to stop dead into the wind. I am at the bow. My wife will read depth to me. I will lower the anchor to the bottom just until it touches but not more not to foul the anchor on its own rode. Then she will put the boat in idle reverse, and I will pay out the rode to 7-1 scope and cleat. Each of my anchor rodes is marked in approx 25 foot intervals, so I know exactly how long to let go. Once cleated we put the engine in reverse at a bit of speed to set the anchor. When the anchor sets the boat will stop dead and spring on the nylon line. At that point we will give it full power in reverse to see if it holds.

Where we cruise the 9 foot tide reverses every 6 hours so we always swing 180 degrees. So far the fortress holds and resets. Sometimes it is extremely difficult to get the anchor out. Larry has desrcibed well how to use wave action to pull the anchor free.

Some important notes: I inspect my chain, shackles and line regularly. During bad weather I sleep in the cockpit and check position and swinging often. Although normally engine, rudder and centerboard are in the up position at anchor, during bad weather I leave the engine down to be able to start quickly in emergency.

Storage: I keep Fortress, bridle and shorter rode in the anchor well at all times. I bring Delta and second rode only for extended trips and store both in the ama. I do not leave rode or bridle attached to anything when not in use.

Feel free to ask follow-up questions. I will describe my mooring setup in Ted's thread.
Bo Wetzel
Site Admin
Your Country: France, Provence

Moving this topic

Post by Bo Wetzel »

Ted
Bo - you mayt want to move this to that topic so we don't have multiple topics for the same topic.
Unfortunately this forum software allows me only to move the whole topic to anther category e.g. 'General'
This would still leave two threads.

To solve this would be for the people in this thread to copy and paste their contribution into a reply of the original topic: "General - Moorings, what works, what dosen't".

I can only urge people again to check the forum if already a similar topic exist before creating a new one!

Bo
(DF forum admin)
pippo
Your Country: Netherlands, Haarlem/Italy, Milan

bridle for anchoring and mooring

Post by pippo »

Hopefully will take delivery of DF next week and getting ready... :D

In this and in other anchoring discussions there is a consensus a good bridle from the amas with a rolling hitch on the anchor rode is the solution to go for. I would like to profit from the experiences out there.

How are your bridles made? What type of line? What type of splice? What lenght?

At the tip of amas the DF 28 has eyes, not cleats. I guess the same is true for the other DFs. How do you attach the bridle to those?

The boat will come with the standard aluminium fortress and I am planning to use 3-4 m chain and the standard weighted line as main rode. Any suggestions for the chain/ rode connection?

Thanks
Ciao,
pippo