USING THE TRAILER FOR THE DF920

For all those DF920 issues which do not fit into any of the categories below.
saishyamnilgiri
Your Country: UK, LONDON, PUTNEY.

USING THE TRAILER FOR THE DF920

Post by saishyamnilgiri »

HI EVERY BODY! I am a new comer and have got to like the DF920 mainly because it is trailerable. but the real question i wish to know is: can you really do this often? what i mean is can the boat be taken home maybe after sailing for a week end? is it really a weekend sailer?

sorry i have a couple of other questions.

i live in london, and i wish to know approximately how much would i need to spend on berth fees and other licences per year if i was to be interested in the DF 1200.

could somebody be kind enough to advise me on the pros and cons of going for either of these boats other than the fact that the df 920 is trailerable and cheaper than the df 1200.

do you think the df 920 can manage safely an ocean voyage?

answers to any of my questions will be helpful. thanking you! and good sailing.
SAI
Ipe Piccardt Brouwer
Your Country: Netherlands, Winkel NH

Using the trailer

Post by Ipe Piccardt Brouwer »

Hi,

There was a discussion on the old forum about trailering. I've copy-pasted it (partially):

[/quote]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How easy is it to use the DF920 trailer ?
[from: David Breune, USA, 16 Aug 2005]
Dragonfly 920 trailer. How difficult is this to use? I noticed from the Dragonfly website pictures of a two part trailer system where you have to winch the boat onto the main trailer after pulling the boat out of the water on a smaller "crib" trailer. Is this the only system available for the 920?
Also, I am very interested in purchasing a used 920, and I would like to hear any feedback as to the benifits of the Dragonfly 920 vs. a Corsair 31 or Farrier, or even the Seaon.
I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and am interested in knowing if there are other 920 owners in the area.
What a great forum! Thank you very much. David

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: How easy is it to use the DF920 trailer ?
[from: John Blaiklock, United Kingdom, 18 Aug 2005]
I have a 920 and a trailer, and have used the trailer a few times. These are my experiences.
The trailer is two part as you say. The boat sits on a trolley which sits on the trailer. The trolley is lowered off the trailer down ramps. Only the trolley is immersed in the water when launching. The trailer is too expensive to put into salt water. The boat on its trolley can be lowered from the trailer easily but care must be taken. The trolley has small wheels and only runs well on a hard surface. It will not run well on grass or stones. The trolley has a long extendable draw bar, so the launching vehicle does not enter the water.
Assembling the 920 is not technically difficult, but takes quite a while, and is physically hard work. Attaching the beams is easy. Attaching the floats is just about possible with two tall strong people, but a few minutes help from a passer-by makes it much easier. When raising the mast getting the mast from the transport position to the raising position is the hard part. You really need a raised platform in from of the boat to do this safely. Once in position raising is easy. Other assembly is easy and light work, if time consuming. Expect it to take half a day, and disassembly similar. It's not something to do for a weekend's sailing.
There are a few advantages/disadvantages of the 920 versus the Corsair/Farrier F31. The F31 is much quicker to assemble and launch from a trailer, because the beams rotate out of the way rather than having to be disassembled. The 920 is much better for a permanent marina berth when it will be left folded. The problem with the F31 in this situation is that the beams sit on their sides in the water and get fouling on their sides - not good. If you have a berth where the F31 can be left unfolded this is not a problem.
The 920 is very much more pleasant inside, with light coloured wood of high quality. The F31 is covered inside with carpet. The 920 is better in a cool wet environment because of the manufacturer's sprayhood and cockpit tent. These are not options on the F31. The F31 uses a dagger board, the 920 a pivoting centre board - dagger is better for performance, centre is better if you accidentally run aground. The 920 has flat float decks (easier to walk on), the F31 curved (less water resistance if buried). I don't often bury a float, but walk on them all the time.
Performance is similar, with both the 920 and F31 having a normal and a racing version. The F31 has a rotating mast whereas the 920's mast does not rotate and is not a very efficient shape.
I reckon the most important decision factor is how you intend to use it...
Launch from trailer every time you sail - get an F31
Keep in the water with floats folded - get a 920
Just get one or the other!

[/end quote]
Ipe Piccardt Brouwer
DF920-28 'Ngalawa', Medemblik