DF35 anchor windlass overhaul

Motor, Motor Maintenance, Winches, Cooker, Heater, Fridge, Battery, Battery Charging, Shore Connection, Instruments, Autopilot, Anchor etc
extravert
Your Country: UK,Chester

DF35 anchor windlass overhaul

Post by extravert »

I have a Quick Crystal C1000 800 Watt anchor windlass on my DF35. This got salt water into the motor & needed repair. It is no longer made & Quick do not support it now. Here's what I did to overhaul it.

Remove the headlining above the V berth. You can see the motor. Remove the end cap & disconnect the wires. Remove the motor cover & then undo 2 small long bolts that hold the motor on. The motor can drop down. Take it to an auto electrician for overhaul.

To remove the windlass you need to remove the bow roller/chain channel first. This is held in by bolts & Sikaflex. Bolts easy to remove, Sikaflex difficult.

Now unbolt the windlass base plate from the boat & lift the windlass and plate out. Next unbolt the windlass base plate from the windlass.

Remove the gypsy, chain stripper & cones from the top of the windlass, all easy.

Remove the black gearbox from under the windlass body held on by 4 bolts. Separate the gearbox carefully as there is a rubber gasket that you want to reuse

Remove the gypsy shaft by removing 4 Allen bolts. The planet gears will slide now out from the sun gear. I did not remove the sun gear change its bearing as it was in good condition.

You can push out the top bearing & shaft seal easily. Replace both using a SKF 16006 bearing & a 40mm X 30mm x 7mm lip seal.

Reassembly is easy. There are 2 bearings on the motor but the auto electrician replaced those for me.

Total cost was £85. It takes a day to do.